Friday, January 29, 2016

Dead Stars dodge the sophomore slump. Nay, they stomp out the sophomore slump!



Dead Stars' debut was one of my favorite albums of 2014. Heck, I liked the guys so much I actually used their show at the Bottle that year to double as my birthday party because I wanted to turn my friends onto them.

Their new album Bright Colors is out this March, but I already got an advance copy and it's been keeping other music I probably should be listening to out of rotation. But it's just so good. They don't mess with their formula at all, but they don't feel like they're treading water either. It's still firmly rooted in loud, fuzzy indie-pop a la mid-'90s Matador releases, but it still doesn't feel like a nostalgia trip either. Nothing makes me happier than when a band releases an album I love, and then follows it up with one that might be even better (but, really, they're both great).

Listen to one of the first singles below, and I urge you to pre-order the album right now so you can have it the second it comes out. I mean, c'mon, with the amount of music I listen to you're gonna trust me on this one, right?

No comments: