Monday, September 12, 2011

A.V. Festin'.

We went to the Onion A.V. Club's inaugural A.V.Fest over the weekend and had a really nice time. My recap of the bands we saw is on Chicagoist. I hope this did O.K. enough for them to continue next year since it ended up being a perfect little late summer experience.

 There are a few things about the weekend that were noteworthy that didn't make it into my post. They were, in no particular order:
  • Tim Tuten, owner of The Hideout,  was in town and while he largely eschewed jumping onstage for his now famous band introductions he did jump onstage to say a few words about Archers Of loaf and I realized how much I had missed his presence (he's working in D.C. a lot) and what a vital part he is to Chicago's music scene.
  • Michelle kept looking at me during that Archers set saying, "This is what I imagine the '90s really sounded like when I think about it in my head."
  • I finally had a chance to sample the food from Big Star, a restaurant I refuse to patronize after numerous examples of truly shitty customer service. They were catering the show and the food was free so I decided to see what the fuss was all about and why all my friends love going there. The tacos were O.K. but there was nothing remarkable about them. I can continue my boycott knowing that I'm not really missing anything other than a staff with a consistently lousy attitude. Hey, thanks for the free food though!
  • It was a mighty fine weekend.

No comments: