Monday, June 21, 2010

They didn't play "Precision Auto" but I loved them anyway.

They didn't play "Precision Auto" but I loved them anyway.

Superchunk played the Taste of Randolph -- probably the "highest class" and most yuppified street festival in Chicago -- and I was shocked at how good they were. Superchunk is one of those bands I've loved since their early singles first came out but for some reason I had never seen them live before last night. I know, SHOCKER! In the end I don't think it made that big a difference since the band I saw last night played with the same energy and conviction as a quartet of teens. Just absolutely amazing.

The band never broke up but they only play a handful of times a year, and those tend to be one-offs in and around where they live. However they're releasing their first new album in nine years and because of that they're booking a short tour, and it seems Taste of Randolph was a test for some of the new material. As usual it's solid stuff and the new songs stood next to the classics without a problem. Take advantage of this tour if it comes near our town, even if you have no idea who Superchunk is. I guarantee you'll be knocked flat on your back.

No comments: