Monday, January 05, 2009

The thing about regret is that you should never regret the same thing twice.

The thing about regret is that you should never regret the same thing twice.

I don't really have any resolutions for this year. I've sort of adopted the thinking that if there's something about yourself you want to improve, you should be able to do it any time of the year. There are a few usual beginning-of-year thoughts running through my head, but none of them require any huge change in personal behavior. My jeans are a tad tighter than they were a month ago, but with the end of the holiday season and its attendant uptick in food intake I suspect that will correct itself in a week or two. Quitting smoking has crossed my mind too, but again, that's the sort of thing I'll just deal with when I decide to finally do it. I'd like to hit the 52 books in 52 weeks mark ... but honestly, between my massive multimedia intake and crunched schedule that'll probably be impossible. Plus it doesn't help that the first book I chose to start the year weighs in at 898 pages.

So I say no to the conventional resolutions everyone seems to adopt at the beginning of January only to discard by the end of the month, but I do think there is something to be said for resolving not to repeat past mistakes.

My biggest regret of 2008 was the way I totally botched my break-up with a girl I had known for over ten years before we decided to date. She was a person I always had fun with, and after Photogal and I ended things she and I grew very close. We dated for a few months and I ended things with her very abruptly and in a manner that can only be described and selfish and completely self-centered. She was, and still is, a completely amazing person and she deserved far better treatment than I doled out.

So there you have it, I guess I do have a resolution for 2009 and beyond; I hope my selfishness never again hurts someone I love.

No comments: