Thursday, November 13, 2008

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

I was listening to the ol' tankPOD on shuffle yesterday when New Order's "Love Vigilantes" came on and reminded me of one of my least proud moments. It was near the beginning of my relationship with Photogal and it came on the car stereo, spurring her to mention how much she liked the song's happy ending. I corrected her and pointed out that the song in fact had a tragic ending, the narrator was not a hero returning triumphantly home but was instead a ghost lamenting his loss.

The second I said that I realized I wanted to take it back because I had just snatched something that made Photogal happy and turned it inside out.

I regret that moment to this day, and since then I've always thought thrice before disagreeing with someone's interpretation of anything, for fear I'll pop any other bubbles of joy. Who cares if I'm right and you're wrong anyway ... what matters is what makes us happy, right?*

*This is obviously not a 100% blanket statement. If you try and tell me something outrageous like "the sky is yellow and the sun is blue" or "George Bush did a good job over the last 8 years" I'm gonna disagree with you.

No comments: