Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The irony of the band's name given my state of mind whilst viewing them.

The irony of the band's name given my state of mind whilst viewing them.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a show without consuming so much as a single beer. I'm not saying I get blotto at every concert, but I almost always have at least one or two beers throughout the night. Lat night the weather was so crap I decided to drive my car to Metro to see Spiritualized®, and since I just do NOT feel comfortable driving after even a couple beers, I decided it was going to be a dry evening.

Boy am I glad I didn't, since the show was amazing. I mean, I'm sure I would have thought it was amazing anyway, but the fact that I came to that conclusion stone sober means it was REALLY amazing. I enjoyed the band's set at Pitchfork this summer, but hearing their neo-psychedelic gospel guitar freak-outs in a club sweating and expanding and contracting with acolytes put the songs in an entirely new context. It was grandiose. It was touching. It was a spectacle built on little more than a minimalist light show and a collection of incredibly powerful songs. It was a night to remember, and I'm glad that due to the lack of any booze in my system I will remember every second of it.

By the way, if you want to see more photos of the show, see 'em at Chicagoist.

No comments: