Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tankboy: Interior Decorator

Tankboy: Interior Decorator


A few days ago a friend was at my place when I went into the extra room to look for a DVD.

"Oh my God, so THAT'S where everything is!" they gasped.

My apartment is pretty spartan. When I moved in I had the guys helping me put everything into the second bedroom and intended to unpack it as soon as I could. What ended up happening is I would pull stuff I needed out, a DVD here and a CD or book there, but left just about everything in boxes. The result is a true bachelor pad with nothing on the walls and a bare minimum of furnishings. I keep the door to the extra room shut so I guess that gives off the impression I'm living a rather austere lifestyle .. and considering I've had other people comment on the lack of stuff in my place I guess that's basically the impression folks get.

When my friend saw the room full of stuff they seemed relieved and confessed they had always wondered how a guy as well read and musically educated as myself would have so few books, albums, and CDs. The walls full of media in the extra room combined with the boxes towering above its floor helped resolve that seeming contradiction.

So, now that I have some free time, maybe I will actually get around to at least populating those bookshelves, hanging a few pictures around the house, and decorating with a few nick-knacks so that the impression is more "erudite if slightly sloppy pop culture scholar" and less "American Psycho pad ready for slaughter."

Hey, that rhymes!

No comments: