Monday, April 14, 2008

Athlete(s).

Athlete(s).

Last night I went to go see Athlete since they're on the label of the gal I'm seeing. I'd heard some track of theirs, and certainly think they're pleasant enough, and sure enough they put on a good show, albeit a pretty mellow one. At one point I was saying they were the new yacht Rock, and I didn't mean that in the pejorative sense. It was an all-ages show, and it was sold-out, so it was a tad warm in the room, but no one seemed to mind at all. Afterwards we bunkered down in the Schubas basement for a few beers and some conversation with the band. And, I have to add, that the dudes in Athlete are incredibly nice. No pretension or attitude, just genuinely friendly guys.

Afterward we visited Rudy for his DJ set at Relax. It seems as if they're trying to make the place over into a rock bar, which I certainly have no problem with, but it seems risky since it's flanked by Five Star and Rockstar Dogs ... two other fledgling "rock bars." O.K., maybe Five Star is the only serious competition. It seem everything Dion tries to open nowadays turns to complete crap in no time, and his current lame attempt at a rock and/or roll hot dog stand seems particularly misguided.

Anyhoo.

So yeah, Relax. Seems like a nice enough place. I dig the decor, and it really reminds me of Happy Endings on the LES. I talked to the owner and might DJ there sometime in the near future.

Other than all that, it's Monday. Time to make the donuts. Tankboy out.

No comments: