Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Is Curtis White Philo T. Farnsworth?

Is Curtis White Philo T. Farnsworth?

I don't know why I suddenly thought about this, but Curtis White is a college professor in Normal, IL, and when I took one of his classes in 1991 one of the first things he showed us was a sound collage by the Emergency Broadcast Network, so even then he was showing a strong interest in the re-purposing of existing sonic material to create a new message. Plus Oh Astro is from Normal and that just seems kind of a little too convenient.

Huh, it just sort of came to me over the weekend while I was listening to an interview with Greg Gillis, and I haven't done ANY research beyond responding to a gut feeling, but it certainly seems plausible that White could be the mystery man behind Illegal Art, huh?

No comments: