Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Singledom.

Singledom.

Last night I was asked just what was so great about being single. I knew they were angling for an answer more suited to "I'm kissing so-and-so" and fun gossipy stuff like that, but it actually did get me thinking. What is so great about being single?

The answer is, and it's the same one I reflexively blurted out last night, broadly, I can do whatever I want without worrying about how someone else will fell about it. Drilling down it means I can go out at night, and see bands, and hang out with friends, and never have to answer to someone else.

But there's a flip side.

I also have no one I can 100% confide in anymore. Since I've obviously been dating, Photogal has grown a little distant, and I can totally understand and respect that. It's a little weird, since in the past she's always been the one to start dating right away, but maybe I can empathize more fully because I remember what it's like to see someone you've been intertwined with enjoying the company of someone that's not you. But while I've made that adjustment I'm beginning to notice just how completely I'll miss having someone there I can always trust and depend on.

So between that realization, and the impending move (a move I admit I'm severely slacking on since I have yet to pack a single bow ... but I'm guessing that's another avoidance technique, right?) things are sort of coming to a head, becoming more concrete, and the ramifications of ending a 12-year relationship -- that I think I was previously avoiding -- are making themselves felt.

Ick, O.K., enough personal grossness. Here's a kicky dance song to take your mind off my blathering.

MP3: The Bird & The Bee "Polite Dance Song"

No comments: