Monday, October 01, 2007

Coming clean.

Coming clean.

So I had been trying to keep this a teensy bit under wraps, but when the girl working the Bon Mots merch table Friday noticed I had lost weight, and it turned out she knew how I had done it, I reckoned there was no reason to keep mum any longer.

So when I saw my doctor for my yearly physical just before my birthday she said I might want to watch my weight. I wasn't fat, but over the past couple years the pounds had been accumulating, and I am at the age where it can all go downhill pretty quickly. So she recommended I try WeightWatchers and I was immediately confused ... didn't women do WeightWatchers? And weren't there meeting involved? It's not like I wanted to join AA for fat people, right?

Turns out the reason my doctor recommended the program is because it helps you keep track of what your eating and how much of it there is. It's about changing habits, and if you follow their Points system and their Flex Plan, you still get to eat whatever you want. Literally. Plus, you can do the whole thing online now, and only attend meetings if that's your thing. It's not mine.

So, since my birthday party at the end of June I've lost 30 pounds. I now weigh less than I have in years and years, and my goal is to get down to what I weighted ten years ago. It's not that far off.

So, if you're looking to lose a little weight, it can be done. And it can be done without cutting out all carbs, or eating only carbs, or eating nothing but bananas and peunts, or following any other fad diet. And it really makes a difference. I fit into clothes I haven't worn in forever, and all that time at the gym is actually starting to show since theres no longer so much detritus between my muscles and my skin.

So call me girlie if you want, make fun of me if you want, but if you're anything like me, and want to make a change before things get out of hand -- or maybe already are and you really want to try and reverse the damamge -- hopefully my success can prove that anybody really can lose a bunch of weight relatively simply.

No comments: