Friday, August 10, 2007

Further proof that I am one lucky dude.

Further proof that I am one lucky dude.

So news came down the wire yesterday that Peter Bjorn and John's next Chicago show will be at Riviera in September (tickets are on-sale Saturday). They were the one band all last weekend that really surprised me. And by that I don't mean they were the best act, but i do mean that their performance came as a bit of a shock. I mean, I enjoy "Young Folks" and dug Writer's Block, but I never thought they were particularly awesome.

But seeing them at Double Door last Saturday, amidst a pretty modestly-sized invite-only crowd, was revelatory. Their energy filled the room, the songs grew to twice their size, and I'm still not sure how three guys sounded that expansive without resorting to walls of distortion like most power trio do. Can you even really call them a power trio? It was just a really, really fun show. They even made the usually predictable "hey, let's go out in the audience!' fresh by carrying their instruments along with them, leaning into the crowd, and dancing while they played. So much fun.

So, what I'm saying is, buy tickets for the Riv show or you'll probably regret it. Remember, at one time no one ever thought Modest Mouse would play anywhere larger than The Empty Bottle!

No comments: