Monday, June 18, 2007

I still don't have a crush on Obama.

Ah, Barack, here we go again. I see your following is making its mark on the Internerd again this week. Obama fans tend to be younger, hipper, and creative and it makes sense that it's this crew that's really utilizing online tools to stump for their guy first with the Hillary Big Brother Apple parody, and now with the YouTube pop explosion.

These are the things that I like about Obama's influence. His campaign does seem to actually be invigorating younger people and is causing them to become involved in politics in a way they haven't been in a long time. Part of that can be attributed to the fact that The U.S.A. is in such sorry shape, and under such ham handed leadership, that something had to give sooner or later. But when you add Obama's promise of "politics not as usual" you reach a boiling point that has inspired a great many people.

At the same time, his reach has been over amplified by the media and the web, since his core following is still reasonably small in comparison to the other front runners. It's a vocal following, but it's not a following threating to tip into the majority any time soon. Personally, I like Obama, but I'm slightly insulted that he's trying to sell himself as a candidate unlike any other, when he in fact has gotten to a position of power through the same deal making and back room agreements and blah de blah that every single modern politician on a state or federal level has to participate in. I don't judge him harshly for doing so, but I do disapprove of his attempt to portray his past as nothing short of sparkling clean and riding on the shoulders of inspiration.

The guy still has a chance, though. He could still win my vote. And while I respect and am invigorated by the novel new messages being created and sent out by his supporters, I'm still waiting to hear something novel and new from the man himself.

MP3: Obama Girl "I Got A Crush On Obama"

UPDATE: See?

No comments: