Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Clarifying the whole two-night birthday show thing ...

Clarifying the whole two-night birthday show thing ...

Originally some friends of mine who used to be in one of my absolute favorite local bands were going to reunite for my birthday this year. However, the venue I was using would only let me use the room until midnight on my birthday proper, the only night this particular band could play. In order to make up for the brief time allotment, the fellow that books the venue said, "Well, why don't I give you all night Friday, so you can have your show and then DJ until the bar closes at 4 a.m.? And then we'll just have another show with BAND X the next night. It'll be a two-night birthday party!" I thought about it, figured I could easily round up enough bands to cover both nights, and we'd just have one hell of a party. Plus, 35 is a pretty notable age, so I reckoned I could get away with using that as an excuse for two nights of celebrating. Plus, no one could say they couldn't make it to one or the other of the shows, so everyone was covered.

Well, the band I was psyched about had to drop out due to even more sever scheduling conflicts (though I wasn't too bummed since they still want to play later this summer so I'll still get to see them). Once they did I had the option to just condense the whole party into a single night, but doing so would have bumped OTHER bands I had already booked and was super psyched about seeing, and in the end I didn't really want to do that. So it was decided to keep the celebration over two nights.

So I just wanted it clear that the whole thing wasn't just because I wanted two days of people saying, "Tankboy, you're awesome!" I mean, heck, I like that kind of treatment just as much as the next guy, but it certainly wasn't the original impetus -- and it's still not, really -- for a two-night birthday bash.* I just wanted to include as many of my favorite bands as I could and, not surprisingly, they just don't fit in two nights! Truth be told, if I had booked everyone I wanted to, you might have all been in for a "Tankboy Birthday Month" so you should count your blessings ...

Anyway, now that that's hopefully a little clearer, I do hope you'll join me at The Note (and yes, isn't that an interesting place to celebrate a milestone of sorts?) June 29 and 30 when I celebrate my birthday with a few of my friends!

THE TANK IN '08 SHOWS!

June 29
The Beer Nuts
The Midnight Shows
The Sterns
The Bomb Squad DJs;
DJ Tankboy, DJ Cowbell,
June Cleavage, and Amber Waves

June 30
The Blitzkrieg Bopz
Venom Lords
Farewell Captain
Mark Mallman
DJ Tankboy

*Not that I'm not going to enjoy it, mind you.

No comments: