Wednesday, March 21, 2007

You don't need a crowd to start a party.

You don't need a crowd to start a party.

So I DJed Monday night for that Fratelli's CD release party. I could fib and tell you the place was mobbed by mad power-pop fans, but actually it was kind of a bust, attendance-wise. I think I maybe brought in the most people (all ten or so loyal pals in my posse willing to brave going out on a Monday night).*

It was a motherfucking blast though.

Just about everyone that wanted one got a free CD and T-shirt. I had a lot of fun DJing. And the coup d'etat was the four man face off between Arturo, Arunas, me, and some guy who's name I forgot wherein we tried to outdo each other via "so bad they're good" pop music cuts. Arturo admitted he had no idea my tastes stretched that far since he only knew of me as a "rock" DJ, which is fair since he's only seen me spin at places like The Continental where I can't push the boundaries like I did at Rock and/or Roll Tuesdays or my near mythic Sunday sets at The Note back in '98 and '99. (You know, like the one time Eddie Vedder drew me a picture and sent it up to me because he so dug the tunes. Why didn't Pearl Jam ever take me on the road?)

The point is that turnout isn't always a gauge of a party's success. I've been to plenty of packed events that totally sucked. Last night was a good example of why it's the vibe that's important, not just the crowd. Every person in that bar had a good time and i was proud to have been a part of it. Hopefully Johnny Kesh vs. Arturo vs. Tankboy will take place again on a night a little closer to the weekend so more folks can get in on the fun too.

*It should also be noted that it WAS a Monday night and it was just a day after everone probably drank themselves green for St. Patrick's Day, so the timing wasn't perfect ... but the night of the party was determined by the album's actual release.

__________

Reconnecting with old friends.


So I hadn't talked to Dan Ryan in, literally, years. much of it had to do with my own internal issues, and my discomfort at discovering he was human, and mortal, after believing he was indestructible for most of my life. that coupled with my dad's loss made it very hard for me to talk to Dan. I know, it's totally selfish, and stupid, and I'm ashamed of it, but that's the way it was.

Well, I finally decided enough was enough and talked to him yesterday. Now I'm punching myself for not doing it sooner. What better way to overcome my own fears of human frailty than by talking with someone who's been through hell and continues to fight to move towards the light? Dan was told he'd probably never walk again, yet he can make his way around in a walker. He was told he was going to die, but he held out hope and ultimately got both a new liver and a pancreas*. His girlfriend the weathergirl leaves him beacuse she can't "deal," but he moves on and works his wiles on one of his physical therapists so they continue seeing each other long after he's done with her part of the treatment.

The only thing the man won't do? Become computer savvy. It's maddening.

The most important thing I took from this, though, is you just shouldn't put things off. What if all the above hadn't happened? What if Dan had dies before I had a chance to get over my own hang-ups? H9ow could I have lived the rest of my life with that level of regret? I mean, we can't blame ourselves for the things we didn't say when we don't know death is around the corner, but we have no excuse for not doing so when the reaper is practically sitting at a friend's feet.

I'm glad you're doing well, Dan, and I won't make the same mistake twice.

NOTE: The Avril lavigne photo has zero to do with Dan, but it came up while I searching Google Images for "Dan Ryan." Were he willing to connect to the internets, he would probably kick my ass for posting a photo of Avril Lavigne alongside something written about him. Hee hee.

*Weirdest side effect of this? He's no longer diabetic, although he says that sugary stuff tastes like shit to him.

__________

And now, a touch of levity.

No comments: