Thursday, March 15, 2007

Bits and blurbs.

Bits and blurbs.

I can tell it's going to be a busy day, so let's just hit a few bullet-points, shall we?

  • I see one of my oldest friends Jim is getting some great press. I also see he's owned his comic book shop for a decade now. Damn does that make me feel old. At the same time, via a quote in the article, I am pleased to see he still says "whatnot" quite a bit.

  • Check it out, I'm DJing the local Fratelli's CD release party Monday night. Don't miss it.

  • The Flaming Lips are coming out with a concert movie this summer. Watch the trailer.

  • Seven must have iPod apps. I haven't tried 'em yet, but they certainly seem useful!

  • Has anyone else noticed that it's sort of gotten a little quiet around the music internets since SXSW started? I still have the occasional pang of regret for skipping it this year, but I think I made the right decision. I really would have liked to see Sloan at that 857 party though. Oh well, they're coming through Chicago in May so I'll just be patient.

  • Still fucking digging the hell out of that Birds Of Avalon disc.

  • I'm considering a site redesign. Anyone out there have any thoughts on that? My current template is one I modified from a Blogger submission almost five years ago, so it might be time for an upgrade. On the other hand I've kind of fallen in love with my site looking a little weird and anachronistic. I know I don't want to resort to using a standard template, but don't know if I have the skillz to create a new one that's suited to all the new whiz bang gadgets and plug-ins of the day. Maybe I'll just stick with keeping things the way they are.

  • While I'm soliciting advice, anyone out there know much about vinyl emulation software? If so, does anyone have any recommendations? Keeping in mind most of my library is coded to M4A and I don't feel like re-ripping all my music? I'm thinking it might be a good way to resurrect my long dormant turntable skills.

  • Podcast recommendation of the week: If you're not listening to Kevin Smith's SModcast, you should be. Each week is a relaxed, profane conversation between Scott Mosier and Smith about, well, pretty much whatever comes to mind. Hilarious stories of youthful pitiful (and slightly homoerotic) attempts at being playboys, figuring an escape route that does not include protecting Alanis Morissette from a possible mugger, Jason Bateman's lunch, and the glorious genius of Alan Rickman. It's a great way to spend an hour each week. It's hat keeps my blood pressure low while driving to and from work. A man can't get angry when he's laughing that hard, right?

Hm, I feel like that was a little light, so why don't I throw in a song to get your day going? How about this slow burner from Betty Davis? Thursday's as good as any other day for gettin' your sexy mood on, huh? This song can't be denied. Wonder if it's about Miles though.

MP3: Betty Davis "Anti Love Song"

Y'know, now that I've listened to it again, it sounds kind of like Rach. Wonder if she's heard it?

Photo via Kitty de Medici

No comments: