Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Deadly Sting?

Deadly Sting?

Now that I've actually had some time to process the confirmation of the whole Police reunion, I'm beginning to notice some worrisome signs. While their performance of "Roxanne" was tight at The Grammys, it's jazz-lite rework is pulled directly out of Sting's solo tour set-list. While the chummy commentary track between Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers on the Everyone Stares DVD shows those two have probably long buried the hatchet, it appears Sting still holds the power to screw the whole thing up. This view is compounded by rumors that the band is already not getting along. Could this go the same way as the Van Halen 2007 reunion tour that imploded before it ever happened? Will I actually get a chance to see them play in Chicago? And when I do see them, will it be worth it?

The last question must be raised since many critics are already lambasting the band for such an obvious cash-in nostalgia tour in the face of no new output. I admit that when it comes to most groups I am firmly in that camp, but I find The Police to be the exception to the rule. Yes, the tour will make those three men A LOT of money, but it will also give people like me, who loved the band as a kid but (primarily because I was living in south, south, SOUTH Texas at the time, where no one toured) never got a chance to see them play? And also keep in mind that The Police are one of those few bands who quit in their prime, whose members went on to three very successful solo careers in various musical fields, who are still musical masters of their craft, and are still around to reform the original line-up.

Sp Stewart and Andy, please put up with Gordon just long enough to play Chicago, okay? I really want to hear "So Lonely" played live, just don't let Sting jazz it all up or slow it down, okay?

No comments: