Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A P.S.A. (Podcast Service Announcement).

Lately I've been listening to a lot of podcasts. Since the new tankPOD has so much room, I download stuff at home and listen to it on the way to, at, and one the way home from work. I've found some real gems (like this one I wrote about a while ago) but obviously there's a lot of dreck out there. So I've decided to institute a semi-regular series wherein I recommend for one podcast and warn away from another.

This week's lame podcast award goes to LogicallyCritical. I had high hopes for this podcast when I first read about it, hoping for intelligent dissection of the day's events in an impassively logical manner, but the end result is a left-leaning version of a jillion other "critical" discussions. The closest analog I can identify would be G. Gordon Liddy's old radio show, wherein he used "logical" thinking to underscore his points.

Luckily the sour taste left by the aforementioned podcast was cleared right out with Brain Food, a delicious examination of general science theories explained in a matter of fact manner with a dose of interesting weekly science news at the end. Maybe it was last week's book that stoked this particular fire, but I've discovered a renewed enjoyment of the exploration of day to day science stuff. This podcast is a keeper.

No comments: