Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A discourse on the importance of a broad base of knowledge and the effects of this base upon every day observations.

You should know by now that if there's a post with a topic like the one above, with a picture like the one to the left, there is a good chance I am apologizing ahead of time for being less than hilarious by offering the visual of the cute widdle kitty as a peace offering.

The other day I was reflecting (I do that from time to time) on my reading material and realized that I read a lot. And I read a lot about stuff that doesn't directly interest me either. It was actually while I was slogging through a modern dance review in the New Yorker that it hit me; I could care less about modern dance, so why am I reading about it?

It took me a second, but the answer came to me more easily than I thought it would. I read stuff that doesn't interest me because it helps me better understand that which does. Broad studies, even in subjects we don't enjoy, help us make mental connections we might not otherwise have made. Basically, the more you take in, the broader your perspective, and the more open you are to different interpretations or observations of familiar fare.

I must have known this before and just forgotten it, right?

Maybe. But then again, maybe not. I mean, from my current vantage point it seems so obvious it's silly, but where was this understanding when I was railing against algebra classes I was "never going to use in the real world?" Why didn't I get it? It's not important if you're never going to use the actual equations late on in life, what does matter are the mental gymnastics you perform to solve the problems.

Sometimes it's simple revelations like this that make me want to go back in time and smack the shit out of my twenty year-old self.

__________

Pigs fly! Pigs fly! (Not Pink Floyd related, I promise.)

Pitchfork gave the new Sloan album and higher rating than the new one from The Shins. I'm dumbstruck.

__________

New Blogger versus Old Blogger.

Has anyone here made the change? And were they happy with the new version?
My code is ancient, like from 2001 or 2002, and a bit of a Frankenstein since I've adjusted it myself over the years, so will it make the transition from Old to New without everything blowing up?

__________

Drop, Rock, and/or Roll is only four days away!

This Saturday is my monthly residency at The Continental and, as usual, I've tried to make it worth your while to get there early. This week we'll be celebrating the forthcoming U.S. release of Lily Allen's Alright, Still with giveaways from her label, tickets to her Chicago appearance, and some other goodies. Also, since I'm such a freak about Damon Albarn, I've arranged for some prizes related to the release of his new supergroup's self-titled debut, The Good, The Bad & the Queen, as well. Finally, I'll also have a few pairs of tickets to the February 8 Chicagoist sponsored CTRL-ALT-ROCK v2.0 showcase at Double Door. The only rule is that you have to get to The Continental between 11pm and 1am to be eligible for the prizes!

Here, to celebrate the release of The Good, The Bad & the Queen today, let's take a look way back at an earlier Blur remix that, although we didn't know it at the time, really indicated the direction Albarn would soon take both Blur and his solo career. I'm not referring so much to the hyper qualities of the track, instead I'd like you to notice the greater emphasis on sound, and finding melody within the sound, instead of shaping the sound into a melody.

MP3:
Blur "Movin' On (William Orbit Mix)"
M4A: Blur "Movin' On (William Orbit Mix)"

No comments: