Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Wherein the after effect of shared information is reflected upon.

You don't know how strange it is to be talking to a group of people and see most of them, heads bent downward, scribbling your words on a legal pad, trying to capture the gist of what you're saying. Okay, maybe if you're a college professor, or Tony Robbins, you do know that feeling, but for me it's a weird one. However that's just the position I found myself in Monday night when talking on a panel, before a surprisingly large crowd, about DIY music promotion in today's new media climate.

I admit I was a little flattered to be speaking on a panel for the Chicago Music Commission at the Cultural Center in the first place, even if I wasn't totally sure if I would have anything of worth to offer to the attendees. I guess what I forgot is that the majority of info I take for granted, after years of just accumulating it in my various roles in the music industry, is actually not so obvious to the average person trying to get ahead in the music world. And I guess with the avalanche of new tools available to folks for self-promotion, the job is actually getting harder instead of easier.

So I was pleased that the discussion went well, and my panel-mates and I seemed to be on roughly the same page on most issues, so that was cool. Since I can be sort of opinionated I was a little afraid I might end up sticking my foot in my mouth, but aside from introducing myself as Greg Kot to one late-comer / clueless questioner / borderline rude member of the audience, I think I behaved myself pretty well.

At the same time I feel like I accomplished my goal of talking directly to the audience without hiding behind buzz words or getting too marketing jargon-y. I wanted to keep it a little light too, and I think I did a good job of that too. Overall it was a really positive experience and I would happily do it again. Like I said, the terrain we covered ended up being pretty basic, and I guess that's to be expected with these sorts of things, so I'd love to be able to speak at further length some other time.

I've been told the whole discussion was recorded and will be available for download at a later date, so I'll let you know when it goes up in case you want to listen to the evening's discussion yourself.

For a broader view of the evening's topics, check out Chicagoist's write-up of the event. Thanks again to everyone who attended!

__________

General music miscellanea.

Just a few brief things:
  • The Twilight Singers, now (incredibly) including Mark Lanegan (!), kick off a two-night stint at Double Door this evening. I'm excited as hell, but I think Photogal is more so, since her two favorite living male vocalists will be on the stage at the same time. Come to think of it, I fully expect the entire room to just be chock full of female musk and the resulting barrier of the testosterone response. If you go to the show and don't get laid, it'll only be because you don't want to. Sex-ay.
  • I interviewed Tokyo Police Club for a short piece in the next UR Chicago, so I'll let you know when that's available.
  • I was supposed to interview Wolfmother, but the only time they were available was while I was on that panel, so I didn't get to talk to them. Boo! I had been really looking forward to it.
  • Speaking of sex-ay, let's all with Rudy a happy birthday. Ho does it feel to turn thirty, Rudy?
  • The Who have put out a new album. Okay, it says it's by The Who, but it's more a Pete Townshend solo disc with Roger Daltry's vocals and more motifs from past Who albums than usual. I'm still listening to it, and don't want to make any grand pronouncements, but I do believe the old boy has avoided making a fool of himself. Except for that spoken word bit on the opening track, that's a bit rough. Otherwise, so far, it seems a rather above average effort when measured against Townshend's peers.
  • Meat Loaf has a new album too. I haven't heard it, but a music critic I usually agree with actually liked it! I might have to give it a spin if I can get my hands on a copy without paying for it.
  • Lady Sovereign's debut full-length finally came out. I review it here (link forthcoming).
  • Finally, here's a song by a local band named Bang! Bang! That a friend of mine recorded. I think it's super nifty, and I think you'll agree with me.


No comments: