Friday, October 20, 2006

Anatomy of a leak.

I'll try to explain this whole "Naked Ragun leak" thing, step by step, later today ... maybe if I have a few spare minutes during lunch. Screw it. It is what it is, and like Photogal said, "You're letting this get to you too much." So I'm just going to leave it with what I've already written.

However, in the meantime, while everyone is blaming me for not being able to get into a show that was basically "guest list only" from the outset, ask yourself a few things:


  1. If it was so secret, how did I hear about it from a large number of folks, both connected to, not connected to, and actually employed by the bar, ahead of time?
  2. If it was so secret, why did Cobra Lounge leak the information via MySpace before I did?
  3. I've heard some of the staff at Cobra was trying to blame me for the crowd at the show last night. (Though this is second-hand, and therefore suspect information.) I don't know if anyone noticed, but this week Cobra has a slew of shows intended to raise their profile as a music venue. If you think the bar is upset about all the publicity, you are solely mistaken. If you have any doubts about how this whole thing was engineered from the beginning, ask yourself why certain people were gifted with +5s without even asking while fans were left out in the cold. It was no mistake that the show was so "exclusive" so don't blame me for not getting in.
  4. How am I to blame for you not getting in again? This was fair game for promotion. I don't tip my hat to just any news. (For instance, I'm not going to tell you any unannounced Halloween secrets about the Double Door show, because that would a) ruin the surprise and b) isn't really newsworthy since the shows are going to sell out anyway. They don't need the publicity. However a struggling bar on the near South side certainly does need a bit of notoriety, don't you think?

And, for the record, I didn't get in either. However I hear there are plenty of tickets available for RiotFest 2006, so if you REALLY want to see the band, do what everyone else is and buy a frickin' ticket.

UM, Hi Gaper's Block people: I have no idea why they linked to this, but, as you can see above, I don't whine about not getting into the show. I'm just annoyed people are trying to blame me for not getting in. Plus, it's not like I was the only one who mentioned it. Plus, here's my original show preview, and then the follow up. The funniest part about the whole affair? I had actually been pimping the show due to Mojica's appearance on the bill earlier in the week without having the faintest clue Naked Raygun was going to be on the bill. No one copmplained about that...

No comments: