Friday, April 14, 2006

The kidz.

So we went to Liar's last night to take in a quiet Thursday evening of tunes and bad Russ Meyers movies (is there any other kind?) and were shocked to see a pretty sizable crowd of young girlie-girls and boys in tank-tops with asymmetrical haircuts. Apparently Chicago's own Johnny Love was DJing. Or was he? I mean, at no time did I actually see him spinning any records although he did almost get laughed out of the bar by the staff when they saw him walk in with a LV record bag. How painfully gauche.

The meta-meta (meta!) post-ironic mood in the bar was so thick it was in grave danger of diffusing into the air and dissolving each and every fez employed as a lamp shade throughout the room. I admit though that I had a sick fascination with the crowd and direly wanted to see if the vast number of people congregated on the first floor would stop posing at some point and actually dance to the music that they (theoretically) were there to enjoy.

Alas, I was not to make that discovery one way or the other since the party I entered the bar with decided that they (and I was soundly outvoted on this by a margin of two to one) could take no more and needed to head out post-haste. As we made our hasty retreat I couldn't help but notice that the staff -- though raking in money hand over whiskey-clenching fist -- wished direly to join us.

I really did want to stick around though. I mean, how often do I get the chance to observe a crowd I would never, by choice, rub shoulders with from the safety of a room I feel an almost sibling connection with? I can tease and taunt and judge all I want, but unless I actually stick around until the bitter end how can I really make a valid judgment on one scene versus another?

I can't.

So here I am stuck with the notion that Johnny's crew spins nothing but outdated electro tunes and a smattering of hip-hop with no obvious knowledge of how to work a mixing board to ensure that some snippet of melody rises above the overwhelming bass. Perhaps at some point the evening did reach a critical mass wherein the tunes razored in on the masses cutting away the pretension and unleashing an unholy dance party rivaled only by the impending doom of Ragnarok itself.

I guess I'll never know.

__________

The kidz part dew.

Here are three songs they didn't play last night. Yeah, I know The Streets track is all over the place already, but whatever. My fave of the three is def The Bellrays track though. Check it out...

Mylo - Drop the Pressure

The Bellrays - Third Time's The Charm

The Streets - When You Wasn't Famous


And yes, these links were all sent to me by labels or marketing firms but you should all know by now I never post stuff that I don't, first and foremost, like myself.

Just wanted to add that post-script in the interest of full discosure...

No comments: