Thursday, October 27, 2005

I'm screwed, aren't I?

So, between 2002 and 2003 I was unemployed for about nine months and in that time I ran up quite a bit of debt living off credit cards and such since unemployment didn't even cover my complete rent. Bummer, huh? Ever since I started working regularly again, though, I've been paying back my debts one by one.

All of a sudden all of them have suddenly started calling me and are being rather nasty and threatening all sorts of lovely repercussions if I don't pay them back everything I owe immediately. Like, literally, tomorrow or sooner.

Yeah. Pleasant.

I can't help but notice that these calls didn't start until just after the new bankruptcy law went into effect last week. Funny, huh? I wouldn't have filed anyway since I feel that I should pay back what I borrow no matter the circumstances, but that doesn't make it any less pleasant to have people treat me so poorly over the phone and try to bully me out of things I don't have just because they think I have no means of “escape” anymore. The funny thing is that the most viious of the group isn't even a regular credit card collection agency...it's the student loan people! I always thought that was the last debt one was supposed to worry about...

I’m trying and struggling to do the right thing and I don't understand why none of them will treat me like another human being rather than a verbal punching bag.

No comments: