Monday, December 20, 2004

Seriously dude, it's freezing out there.

Yesterday we were supposed to go ice skating, but since I find no fun in using other's dead and frozen bodies as my skating surface we decided to invite my mom and brother into the city for lunch at a Jewish deli a few blocks from our place and then a viewing of Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

The movie rocked, by the way. Aside from being so visually influenced by Edward Gorey that it's not funny, it also reminded me of something that might have been created by a younger Tim Burton with today's technologies. It was everything a holiday movie for kids should be; dark, creepy, murderous, filled with dread punctuated by occasional moments of (brief) triumph and an ambiguous ending. As Mr. Burns would say, "Excellent."

ADDENDUM: To be fair to Burton, I did see the preview for Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and that looks like it will indeed also rock. As a matter of fact, I think while it was playing all I could say was, "Holy shit" and that was the point Photogal punched me in the arm and reminded me we were surrounded by a bunch of kids who were there to also see Lemony Snicket¹. Johnny Depp looks downright creepy in the previews so that gives me hope that the movie will be just as twisted as Roald Dahl's original visions. "Excellent," again, I dare say.

¹Which reminds me, it's really not a movie for little kids...so keep 'em over the ages of eight or nine since that's about when they stop babbling and can enjoy a good nightmare inducing holiday yarn.

No comments: