Monday, September 13, 2004

Suffering band withdrawal.

They’re not always my cup of tea but I caught a few songs by Premium (featuring a two-guitar attack augmented by former guitarist and swell guy Scott Spidale) and was digging it. There was one tune that had dueling guitar lines like some aggro-Skynyrd hybrid that was really impressive. It was as I was leaving the club that I realized that I have been sorely missing the live music experience. This was hammered home as I strolled over to Liar’s Club to meet everyone who had seen The Killers (post show consensus: the songs are terrific but the band is BO-ring on-stage) and realized that I had just missed a gig that could’ve been really fun. It’s partially my fault for not securing tix or sliding onto the guest-list but that merely underscores I’m a tad out of touch with the music coming through town. This is quite a jarring shift coming from a guy who was catching live music six to seven nights a week a year ago.

Luckily a remedy is shaping up since I have two shows – see sidebar to the right for more info – I’m promoting this week. Also, based on the persuasive writing of Karen Plus One I’m going to try and get into the Franz Ferdinand show to catch brimmin' with buzz opening band The Futureheads. Mark Lanegan tickets are already on the fridge for his show at Double Door which doubles as his first solo appearance in the Midwest since, well, forever as far as I’m concerned. On top of this I have more shows in the works – I was lazy over the summer but my need to crush my growing ennui and my need to make some more dough to crush my shrinking debt have spurred me on – and I’m working on some extra DJing wherever I can.
__________

Sore sore SORE.

This was the weekend of severe muscle pain for me and Photogal. Saturday I hit the weights at the gym for the first time in a month – I’ve been trying to get back on the cardio bandwagon over the last two weeks but had been avoiding the weights – and made the mistake of following the same routine I was following a month ago. The result? Searing pain Sunday and today from all the muscles I ripped the hell out of. Not good. On top of that, last night Photogal got thrown from a horse she’s been working on training so today’s she’s literally walking like a ninety-year-old cowgirl. Luckily there was no chipping or breaking of any bones but I have a feeling there’s a massive bruise a-brewin’ under her skin.
__________

You’re going out on a Monday...what?!

It’s true, but I’m not really going out. If that were the case I’d be going to the Bottle to catch Thunderwing. Instead, due to some free tickets, I will be at the Cubs game tonight. See if you can spot me in the crowd! I’ll be the one reading The Atlantic, or my latest short-fiction purchase Bestial Noise: The Tin House Fiction Reader, while trying to juggle both a hot dog and a beer and mayb some nachos. Please don't make fun of me,l though, for not cheering at the appropriate times. I dig the ballpark and the people but just can't get into the game itself, okay?

No comments: