Friday, February 13, 2004

Valentine’s Day Widow

So Photogal is going out of town this weekend with her sister to visit the much more hospitable climate offered by Miami, Florida this time of year. I have posted her itinerary below:

Monday
sit on the beach in Miami, drink fruity drinks
Tuesday
sit on the beach in Miami with a sunburn , drink fruity drinks
Wednesday
miss plane back to Chicago, sit on the beach in Miami, drink fruity drinks
Thursday
participate in the "Girls Gone Wild in Chicago" video
Friday
hang with Betty the Beagle
Saturday
undecided


Boy oh boy does she have it rough! On one hand I’m happy she’ll be out of town thus relieving me of any perceived duties on a holiday I view with thinly veiled contempt. All Valentine’s Day does is make single people feel even lonelier and puts too much fucking pressure on nearly married types like myself to be “extra romantic.” Isn’t that what a bona fide anniversary is for?

It seems to me the only people that actually like Valentine’s Day are greeting card companies, florists, candy makers and restaurateurs. Fuckers.

On the other hand I always tend to get a bit blue when Photogal is gone for more than a day or so and have a tendency to be much less the freewheeling man let free for a weekend of drinking and self-imposed sleep deprivation and much more the mope sitting on the couch watching Mr. Mom (did you know John Hughes wrote it?!) on the WGN weekend movie time slot. Last time she was out of town I found myself watching the Mel Brooks clunker Life Stinks at 3am on a Sunday morning just because in didn’t want to crawl into an empty bed. She usually falls asleep before me so everything’s nice and cozy and warm…but not when she’s out of town.

On the bright side there is a bunch of fun stuff going on this weekend so maybe I’ll get out more than usual. For instance my friend Greg is having his birthday party tonight, so that should be fun. Then there’s always Live Band Karaoke. That's always a blast at The Pontiac.

Saturday two of my favorite local bands Woolworthy and Menthol are playing an early show at Bottom Lounge and then I’m going to try and see Urge Overkill either Saturday or Sunday if I can snag a ticket…hmmm….it might not be such a boring weekend after all!

I’ll just have to make sure I clean up all the clothes, empty soup bowls and string cheese wrappers that will surely be littering my pad before Photogal gets home. Oh yeah, and stash all the drained beer bottles and such too…

No comments: