Thursday, May 08, 2003

A Rock and/or Roll mid-life crisis.

So I'm nervous about my new job. I mean, I've worked in rock and/or roll and the business that surround it (bars, coffee shops, restaurants, clubs) for so long I am left with only the impression of how people must act towards each other in the "real world." On top of it, I've never, ever held a job that required drug tests, background checks or dress codes. Well, the dress code wasn't that huge a stretch since I attended Catholic schools up until halfway through my sophomore year of high school so ties and button down shirts don't freak me out too much.

I'm just now realizing all the new things I'm going to have to adapt to. For starters I'm buying a car from my friend Nanki -- which is doubly funny when you realize the last time she was selling a car (in 1994) I bought that one too! -- and now actually have to deal with commuting. Also I guess that folks in corporate type jobs actually do "do lunch" together when I'm the kind of guy that much prefers to "do lunch" all by myself. On top of it, I'm quitting a job that I both just started and really love to pursue this new one.

But when I begin to weigh the benefits against my silly fears I begin to realize that while this is a leap into the void of uncertainty it is also a leap I really have to take. The new position sounds like it's going to keep me busy learning a variety of new disciplines and introduce me into a brand new environment. If my co-workers are anything like my new boss and her assistant I have the feeling that occasionally "doing lunch" with groups of other people might actually be better than catching up on the articles in the latest Baffler. Most importantly this is a job that will allow me to write and -- within certain parameters -- actually allow me a different way of expressing myself.

So when all is said and done I'm thinking that a leap without the benefit of the rock and/or roll safety net I've firmly secured under me for so many years is probably the best thing I can do.

Man I almost sound like a grown-up!

No comments: